Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Good Morning Tokyo

I guess the train commute isn't THAT bad some mornings, especially if it's nice out and I've had a nice breakfast or the prospect of a coffee.

Shibuya crossing, view at 9:00 am, looking very empty. Shibuya is more of an entertainment and shopping district, less of a business one, so workers usually just pass through Shibuya station for train transfers.

                                     

I still make smoothies every morning. I buy a bag of mixed frozen berries and a├žai every week, which I mix with soy milk, yoghurt or juice. This morning I mixed berries with orange juice. Laugh all you want at my all-fleece pajama, including booties. I could live in that getup.


                                                

Homemade pancakes! The American style. This isn't a typical weekday breakfast, but rather a Sunday one. For breakfast I mostly eat oatmeal. I splurged on a family-sized bag at the import shop, and I soak it into soy milk, honey and cinnamon overnight. Many people ask me what Japanese eat for breakfast. Traditionally, it consisted of miso soup, natto, rice, boiled fish and pickled vegetables, but nowadays, most people just grab bread and coffee from the conbini, or have corn flakes. Japan is newly obsessed with pancakes- pancake shops are popping up all over Omotesando and people queue for over two hours to eat 'American-style' pancakes. I like this new pancake craze, which means good brunch places all over, but you'll never see me in one of those queues...



Train platform, waiting for the morning train. To be fair, my train line is really frequent in the morning; trains come in 2-mintue intervals. Somehow they're all packed to the brim, so I guess that's the best they can do. I'm amazed at how efficient public transportation is here, rare delays, but always crowded. I meant to take a photo of the crowd waiting on the platform, but could not bring myself to it so early in the morning. Next time...



Not morning related, but this humidifier saved my life this winter. The air gets so dry in my house, and this cat-shaped contraption is pretty amazing- cute and useful. If you don't have one yet, this is a MUST-HAVE in winter.





4 comments:

Christine said...

You made a perfect pancake. Mine always looks irregular looking, lol.

Isabel said...

I loved this entry - a little glimpse into your every day life :) I miss you.

I
xo

Malice said...

That dehumidifer is adorable! I need one. I do not think i have seen dehumidifers here

spajonas said...

I often wonder what NYC would be like if the trains were as nice and efficient as Tokyo. Hmmmm...