Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Sake, Bento, Chocolate, No Snow and SIX Years

Kyoto was blissful as usual- a bit of an impromptu trip, but a most welcome getaway. I visited my favourite cafes, namely the chocolate one with the cat and dog and lovely Canadian woman, did a sake tasting in nearby Fushimi (I recommend visiting the sake district, in addition to the Fushimi Inari shrine), wandered around and I picked up the cutest bento ever at Bento & Co, a shop entirely dedicated to the lunch box. Heavenly! The top of my bento box is actually a miso soup bowl, and I picked a plum blossom-patterned furoshiki (wrapping cloth).

I felt sad coming home to Tokyo, especially late on a cold winter night and without hot water in my apartment. Somehow a single wire was disconnected outside, which caused me quite the panic attack. Thankfully I was able to fix it with some help over the phone, and now I appreciate hot water more than ever. I kept thinking I would have to boil water then mix it with my iced water to bathe. In any case, most neighborhoods are equipped with a local sento (bathhouse) as traditionally many homes did not have a bath. I live one block away from the sento, but I haven't tried it yet. I think I'm intimidated by all the elderly people I see frequenting it.

In other news, I've now been living in Asia for six years. SIX YEARS. Not consecutive, but I started this very blog exactly six years ago when I moved to Korea. Oh, how things have changed! I had no idea what was awaiting me. I'm embarrassed when I read my early entries, but I like how raw I was. That's when only my desk mate Jaclyn, at my Korean school, would read this blog- she was probably the first ever reader, and the only one for a full year. I think I became more culturally sensitive over the years, more open-minded and easygoing, if I may say.

Well, if you've been reading me for that long, thank you for sticking around, and please say hi sometime. I always feel overwhelmed with joy when I get messages from readers, as I still cannot believe people actually read this page. Where will this take me, six years from now?

Happy birthday, little blog. xo


My bento

This view
Refusing to leave Kyoto

Epic Shinkansen bento

True Love

Shinshindo

11 comments:

Christine said...

Happy Birthday to your blog :) I will keep on reading your posts.

Ursula Leonowicz said...

happy birthday to ur time in asia and ur blog... i love reading it!

Rachael Brennan said...

I love your blog. It somewhat satisfies my overwhelming urge to move back to Japan.

Alexandra Howell said...

Happy blog birthday!! That bento is too adorable.

philly said...

Happy Blog Birthday and everything everyone else said. Bravo, Vivian.

Love the "Refusing to leave Kyoto" shot. I know that feeling all too well.

Basia said...

Love Lost. Informative and a pleasure to read both script and photos.

Rebeca Brown said...

Hi! :)

I love this blog, your writing style and your style in general!

:)

spajonas said...

Happy blog birthday :) I haven't been reading you for very long but love your blog all the same. Keep writing. You'll always have an audience in me.

KimbaChan said...

Merry Birthday to your blog! I'll be visiting Kyoto in April and my hotel will be a 14 minute walk from that Chocolate cafe, I will definitely go there!

pigonthego said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Yours is one of my absolute favorite blogs about Japan! It always gave me a little taste of "home" when I had first moved back to the US and was missing my life there. And I just straight-out enjoy it for the great writing and fun adventures now!

Furthermore, you come off as being a genuinely kind person in your blog, and it's a refreshing change of pace from the ultra-competitive vibe I got from some others.

Nina said...

Happy birthday to your blog! I'm glad you kept up with blogging still, I enjoy reading your posts :]