Thursday, February 27, 2014

Fashion and Yebisu

I've been so tired and busy this week, so I've been cherishing small, peaceful moments. I had lunch at Nicolai Bergmann, a cafe I really love which suddenly became so popular. The food is really tasty there, they use quality ingredients for their salads and sandwiches and the tea and smoothies are wonderful. I love all of it except for the hordes of 'ladies who lunch' who populate (read: take over) those spots. Although I lunch, I'm definitely not part of that crowd. Small nuance, isn't it?

Cafe love


It's been raining all day and I decided to skip the gym. Instead I tried the limited edition Joël Robuchon Yebisu beer. I mostly bought it for the packaging and branding, and I have to admit it did not taste much different than the regular brew. I think I just feel more sophisticated drinking from that red can instead of the regular one. I am not ashamed to admit I love anything limited-edition in Japan! I snacked all day today, almost nonstop, so it was a good way to end my 'unhealthy' day. I figured it's better to pack it all in one day, right?

Posh beer

In other news, I passed this shop window today and couldn't help but take a snapshot of the S/S '14 trends. Sadly, many girls wear those kinds of outfits here; very frilly, feminine, peach and pastel-toned. Tokyo is an amazing city for shopping, one of the best in the world- every shop, every designer you can think about is here, including Japan-only collections and items from international designers. Walking around Aoyama, Ginza, Omotesando and Daikanyama makes me melt with desire every time. It's puzzling that people dress so plainly when there is everything available here (and I'm not talking about high-end brands only). I guess Japan is quite conservative, and outfits here just seems a bit mis-matched and frilly for the most part. What do you think of daily fashion in Japan? Not the photos you see on street style blogs, but the real deal?

No, no, no and no.
                                     
Those were my rants for the day. Maybe it's the rainy weather? I'm usually a lot merrier. Must be the train rant- incidentally, the Keio Inokashira line stopped on me for the first time in two years, and I had to ride the very most crowded train I have ever ridden. I think it made me appreciate the regular commute. I also found a great alternative to my usual commute thanks to a reader who suggested a different route which makes it possible to avoid Shibuya.

Thankfully tomorrow is Friday, and all I want is to finish my book and have a long workout, and possible a lie in if I can manage to sleep in. On that note, here's a cheerful song from a Japanese indie band called Miu Mau, from Fukuoka.


3 comments:

JoellaJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
joellaj said...

PS- I Guess I can't work out your comments system since I was trying to use my wordpress account and it wouldn't work. So somehow google took over..? Confused! :-)

thisbeijinglife said...

Ok, So I guess I worked out how to use my wordpress account on here now... :-) This is what I was trying to say: I have been reading your blog for a few years now (I'm not sure when I started but it's definitely been a few years!). I read you recent post about being surprised people read your blog and to say hi sometime. So now, after reading for years, I'm getting round to saying hi! I love reading about your adventures in Tokyo. I, like you, began my Asian adventure by living in Korea (I was first there in 2006 then again in 2007-2008). I live in Beijing now. It's funny, Japan has always been one of my top destinations to visit, but so far I haven't made it! Now I'm back living in Asia I really need to make sure I get over to Japan. I know I'm not going to want to leave once I do though!